Friday, October 19, 2007

What's the Deal???

I haven't been on here for a while, and I do apologize. I've had some good things happen, and have been busy. Good, good.

There is a contention right now, and while many people label it as right-winged versus left-winged, I think it is MUCH more a contention of open-minded versus closed-minded. And the closed-minded bunch come from all walks of life. There are people who are smart and well-educated and believe themselves to be open-minded, but in their own view of things, are as closed-minded as the fundamentalists they abhor. This is a problem.

So...the internet. Wonderful thing. Forums--wonderful, though dangerous. I did have the opportunity to get into a forum debate about abortion, and realized, in the argument, the fundamentals of why I am pro-choice, though I respect the pro-life side. But some people just cross the line...

The reason I write this brief entry is to express my annoyance with people who voice their closed-minded opinions on the internet. Some of these people are very conservative; others are probably self-proclaimed liberals who still are as closed-minded as the people they fight against. What's the deal???

I just don't understand why people feel the need to put their mindset into other people's heads. Isn't that the beauty of being human? Isn't that why we founded America, or rather, democracy? And I'm not saying democracy is the best thing for everyone; I'm only saying that in the country I live in, that's our style.

I recently came across someone on a wonderful website--43 Things--who was going on to all these threads and telling people they were wrong. For reference, 43 Things is a goal-building site. You can pick up to 43 goals and either make your own or join one that has many members. I choose one that has many members, because then you can post and support each other. Each goal has its own page. Of course, it's had its problems because many people have negative goals. They ban goals that harm others, but then there are the anorexia and suicidal goals...which they can't ban, but luckily now they put a disclaimer on the page. So, that's good.

Anyway, I was reading this page about Law of Attraction goal, and was thinking this was really cool when I come across one post of some jackass who just says, "Sorry to tell you but...it doesn't work. Click here." And he gives a link to go to, and whatever...but I've been in email arguments with this guy because he is so closed-minded about things in the way that he wants everyone to think like he does.

Why would someone go on threads and tell them they are wrong? And then, he goes on to say that the Christians, with whom he disagrees, get mad at him because, in his opinion, they are forced to see something they don't want to. I'm sorry, but if you come at people with a statement that their beliefs are wrong, or stupid, you're automatically saying you think that you're better than them. Why would someone listen to that? Or put up with that?

And in doing all this, I realized that this is probably part of my growth, dealing with people like this. Letting those people go. Why should it get me mad? They are not in my everyday life; I enter willingly into internet conversations with them. I probably shouldn't get involved.

But the main problem I see is the absolute resistance to seeing things from another point of view. This is, of course, why I'm an actress. To be an actress, you must portray people from varying walks of life, and you might not always agree with the character's motives, but it is YOUR job to find sympathy in the character, and why she does what she does. No one is purely evil and acting to be so (well, maybe a few people). Every person has a reason why they believe or behave the way he or she does. I just believe that we need to have respect for one another and realize that we don't know what's best for everyone, and we don't have the answer for every person out there.

Maybe I'm not making sense...maybe I'm just babbling...it's late. I just want people to respect one another and to realize that what suits you does NOT necessarily suit another.

That's my 2 cents. Cash it in if you like.

No comments: