Thursday, August 23, 2007

Fly, Fly Away

Ever had a lucid dream? If you have, you know how amazing the experience is. If you don't, well, I suggest you give it a shot.

A lucid dream is a dream where you, the dreamer, realize you are dreaming, and hopefully, though not always, take over the dream. Ideally, you create any situation you want; it's a playground of creativity and experience. What would you do? Some people might have wild orgies; it sounds crude, but it's a nice, safe place to experiment, and no one will judge you except yourself. The obvious answer, however, is to fly. Flying dreams are the most invigorating and uplifting, and provides such a wonderful physical sensation as a metaphor for the "real" world.

I haven't had many flying dreams, but one was a long, long time ago in my childhood. I was outside at a canyon and fell off the cliff--a common occurrence in my dreams, though normally it would end with my waking up, startled. This time, I realized I was dreaming while falling, and thought, "why not fly?" And so, I did.

People often have flying dreams at periods of freedom after stress, or when such a situation is available. I remember a friend remarking that after her finals, she had such a dream. It can also be a signal from the subconscious that maybe you need to take control (instead of the situation taking control of you), lighten up, and "fly" above your situation.

So, my dream: I am waiting to have my picture taken (I've been watching too much America's Next Top Model), and I'm on this slippery, muddy hill outside of my house. I have platforms on, a bunch of stuff in my hand like some wine and my cell phone, and who knows what else. I actually am somewhat aware I'm dreaming because I'm sleeping in on my day off, so I'm pretty much dozing in an alpha state. However, I still fail to take control of the dream. I fall down and drop everything, and when I try to get up, the situation gets worse: my shoes come off, I spill juice down my dress, I slide down the hill. I scramble to get up and pick everything up, and then the objects I've dropped keep changing. There are now four pairs of shoes instead of one, and I know I'm dreaming, but that I have to pick up the real shoes, or the others will vanish. My body isn't working right, I keep sliding down the hill, and I just can't get control. Several times I then walk up the steps to get to my stuff, but somehow end up on this rickety ledge and realize I've done something wrong getting back to my things. I do this many, many times, and then, when the ledge looks like it's going to drop me to the ground, I realize, "why not fly?"

So I step off the ledge and I fall slightly but then float there in the air. Everyone is ooh-ing and ah-ing, and I feel this intense joy and freedom tingling through my whole body. I fly away, because now that I can do this, I want to see some amazing things. Beyond the house is a large kind of desert, but I see enormous creatures all over, gentle and dangerous. I remember seeing a large pegasus and realizing now that I can fly, too. The flying felt identical to when I was floating at the pool last weekend, sitting on a noodle; it was a kind of floating state that could move forward, but was also dependent on buoyancy, so that one wrong move, and you're going down (like when the noodle floats up from underneath you).

Now, I play a computer game called World of Warcraft. You may have heard of it, you may not have, but the setup of my dream was a lot like their landscapes: sweeping vistas, rich foliage, and large monsters. I went over to the ocean, and what I saw was incredible. There were these islands made up to look like totems, and strange signs of some other creatures' civilization. In the ocean were gigantic beasts: bears, griffins, and dragons that I wasn't too scared of because I realized I looked like a fly to them. I had other storylines in there as well, and I would visit this city that kind of reminded me of Burano, Italy, with colorful facades. There was a swamp with dinosaurs right by the city that scared me, and I often would lose my flight. To start again, I needed some momentum, and it usually just required a jump and the ability to let go and not question what magic was happening. When I tried to reason, I would fall.

Sounds quite similar, actually, to how the Law of Attraction works: the ability to manifest our desires, freedom from all "logical" thought, emotions, and situations that we pretend cause our lives, but are really the effect of what we've been thinking. The dream is ridiculously obvious as far as how it relates to my life. I always have dreams of trying to do something but getting stalled in the process, and I believe it's my viewpoint on how I tackle life's challenges. Going to work becomes so charged with negative energy because I have to do all this stuff first, including taking care of my stepson and getting him to school. The more I get frustrated will all the steps, the harder they become, until I'm falling down in the mud. If you've read my post about my car, well, this metaphor is VERY obvious.

Today, because unfortunately work, some chores and um--what was it? OH! That's right--gravity--are keeping me from flying to fantastic lands, I will do my damnedest to "fly" in every way I can today. And maybe, just maybe, this world around me is as malleable as a lucid dream. What if it were? What would I imagine, and intend to bring it up before my eyes? What does it take for me to not rely on the facts, but on my own creative, divine power?

Then you can live your dreams...lol.

Check out this site for some great articles on lucid dreaming.

No comments: